We suspect she licked off the remains of chocolate ice-cream from Tim Hortons. Since last night she’s been shaking, vomiting and has diarrhea.
We’re taking her to the vet at 3:00.
I hope your dog will be okay. Every dog reacts differently to different things. I hope your dog’s reaction isn’t serious. I’ve known dogs over the years to get their mouths on chocolate on more than one occasion with no adverse effects, but I’ve also heard horror stories of dogs becoming very sick and even dying from ingesting even a small amount of chocolate.
As a kid, my family’s Rat Terrier would get on the coffee table whenever we’d leave the house, and she would carefully take Hershey kisses. She would unwrap them under the dining room table, eat the chocolate, and then roll the foil up into a ball. She ate chocolate all the time until we found out about her stash of wrappers and had to put a cover on the candy bowl. She was very well behaved, so we never suspected that she was getting up on the table! She was always a healthy dog, and was put to sleep due to very old age several years later.
You would think that in small quantities, it would be okay, since you can give a little bit of chocolate to small animals like rats, to help with stress and anxiety. However, I’ve always read that no amount of chocolate is okay for a dog to consume. What makes it dangerous for dogs is the chemical compound “theobromine” found in cocoa. Dogs metabolize it slower than humans. Some dogs can handle it better than others, but chocolate poisoning generally consists of vomiting and diarrhea. Toxic amounts can induce hyperactivity, tremors, high blood pressure, increased heart rate, seizures, respiratory failure, and cardiac arrest.
Well, I woke up in the middle of the night and inadvertently stumbled across my first tick of the year.
As a child whose parent has Lyme, this is like my worst nightmare. Well, to be fair, all bugs.
What’s annoying is I can’t even determine where it came from or if it just found its way into the house.
Curse you, Texas!
How do you guys prep for Spring/Summer? And do any of you Find it’s necessary to check the dogs after the dog park?
I don’t know if the ticks are really out and about yet over here in Virginia, or I just haven’t seen any yet. I don’t really do anything to “prepare” for tick season, other than apply K9 Advantix to my dogs. Some people don’t like using any kind of chemicals on their pets, but I’ve always used K9 Advantix and have never had a bad experience with it. I can honestly say that ever since I got my first dog less than two years ago, I have never had any problems with fleas or ticks. I’ve had to pick less than a handful off of Sam over the last year and a half that I’ve had her, and that was when I wasn’t keeping up on the K9 Advantix every month.
I live in a very heavily wooded area with lots of wildlife, so I know the ticks definitely get bad out there. My dad has gotten more ticks on him in this area than my dogs! I’ve had Motley since last August, and Helo since January — I have yet to find a tick on either of them… Even at the dog park, I don’t worry about checking them for any fleas or ticks because K9 Advantix is supposed to repel them. Sam has been going to dog parks since I adopted her, and has never gotten fleas or ticks from other dogs in my experience thus far. Even in our wooded/marshy neighborhood, Sam loves to be in the bushes and has never seemed to bring any bugs inside with her.
If you’re worried about Emma getting Lymes, you can have her vaccinated for it. Sam and Motley have been vaccinated for Lymes disease, but I have yet to get Helo vaccinated. It definitely doesn’t hurt to be on the safe side! Also, K9 Advantix has an improved formula (K9 Advantix II) which kills all life stages of the flea. Most of the retailers around here don’t even sell the original anymore, and instead sell the K9 Advantix II. So far it works just as well as the original K9 Advantix.